Author Topic: Building a new Gaming Rig  (Read 825 times)

Seed

• Development
  • Community Member
    • View Profile
Building a new Gaming Rig
« on: January 08, 2015, 08:27:34 am »
Hello!

My name is Seed and in a way this is kind of an introductory post while at the same time providing an opportunity for the community (as new as it is) to come together to help those in need! Those being myself! And myself being a staff member of Digibase (an IRCop) and a loyal member!

Now, to what could I - someone so blatantly awesome - need help with?

I wish to build a gaming rig and have never really been a hardware type of kind. I've always been more of a software, like margarine vs butter, so I'm not exactly familiar with what is technically "good" to invest in. I'm going to put down my price range for products and if you or anyone you know has any form of knowledge on reasonably priced and good quality parts then be my guest! Post it up!

My price range will be about $1,000.

Normally I wouldn't say that's a whole lot but since I'm purchasing the parts to put together a pretty good PC can be bought with $1,000. This accounts for case, graphics card, ssd/hdd, cooling system, memory, etc.

What will it be used for? (This is to better grasp what I might need)

Literally just for higher end gaming such as Dark Souls 2 or high reso-skyrim or high-reso cs:go. Etc. Just generally higher resolution based gameplay. Nothing for 3d rendering or anything of the sort.

Any and all input is more than welcome and the idea that you would even have a moment to spare on myself is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

C

• Community Member
  • Ω
    • View Profile
Re: Building a new Gaming Rig
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 01:35:46 pm »
Start here. I can't promise that the builds generated will be fantastic, so you'll have to finagle with the "overlock/don't/maybe" setting and see what you get.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:48:54 pm by C »

Seed

• Development
  • Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 02:02:41 pm »
The website itself is interesting and was quick to helping me create a PC build, however there is nothing that tells me whether any of those parts are good or just cheap. If someone could elaborate on what this build produced for me and inform me if it is good that would be fantastic!

http://choosemypc.net/ca/?budget=1000&oc=false&options=os

C

• Community Member
  • Ω
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 02:09:51 pm »
It does have a section devoted to explaining why the parts are chosen the way they are. Check here, too. These prices are consistent with what your generator is spitting out.

yuukari

• Community Member
  • UCSN GC Exabase, Super Fluffy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 05:20:27 pm »
I'd totally recommend checking out this place over here.

That's what I used to build my rig before I went out and bought completely different things than what I planned!

Seed

• Development
  • Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 04:21:38 pm »
Oooo, for $1,000 it built me a "great" pc.

I think I shall book mark this.

Aesthemic

• Technical Services
  • Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 08:58:15 pm »
When you're getting set on a build, feel free to post it here and I can help you tweak it based on personal needs. Sometimes people can get a bit more performance or use out of their machine when they really think about HOW they use the computer. For instance, if you do a lot of things at once and have less games, sometimes taking a hit on the storage can net you more RAM. Or if you play something that has your CPU as a bottleneck, it would be good to put a bit more into your CPU.

Small stuff like that.

Mobile

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 07:33:05 pm »
From what I'm seeing it is only for desktop computers as far as I am able to tell. Is there anything similar for laptops that I am missing? Looks great for desktops though.