Author Topic: Weekly Technology Discussion  (Read 403 times)

Aesthemic

• Technical Services
  • Community Member
    • View Profile
Weekly Technology Discussion
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:49:50 am »
I am currently investigating the interest people may have in having a weekly technology discussion between IRC and live streaming. It would essentially be an opportunity to get together with people and discuss a variety of topics involving technology at the core.

My current concept is to do a weekly stream on either Twitch or Hitbox or leverage some sort of audio streaming platform as more of a "podcast" while having people together on something like Skype. In addition, we would have the IRC channel to go with it in case individuals want to contribute through IRC as opposed to voice communications. It would be an opportunity for people to be able to discuss topics in technology which are important or of interest to them.

If you're interested in contributing to this, please let me know what day / time you think would be the best, or what days / times you would be available. I am thinking this would be primarily done either in the evening during the week or on a weekend as more people may be inclined to check it out at those times.

If anyone also has any suggestions on how we can improve this idea, feel free to also post.

Edit: Here are some ideas we have for topics for a first discussion:

• Net Neutrality: Pros and Cons of the FCC's Vote
  • Platform Decisions: Why do you use your platform, and what could other platforms do to persuade you?
  • How does technology impact our daily lives?
  • What Linux flavor are you?
  • Cloud Storage: Pros and Cons

Also, should we limit the discussion to a certain number of topics to give enough people enough time to discuss them?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:21:07 am by Aesthemic »

C

• Community Member
  • Ω
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Technology Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 09:55:37 am »
Use a separate room from #lounge if you're going through with this. Of course, the stream needs to actually have the IRC visible during it for the text only responders.

Aesthemic

• Technical Services
  • Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 09:58:05 am »
I have actually already registered #Technology for this if we were to do it. If there were a stream involved, I could definitely get IRC to display alongside the stream. That shouldn't be an issue, I could partition part of mIRC into the stream to display alongside everything else.

LazloPsylus

• Technical Services
  • Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 09:20:28 pm »
*Blows off dust*

So, did the idea just stall, or what? Seems to be something potentially fun to do.

C

• Community Member
  • Ω
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 08:49:51 pm »
The board really doesn't see all that much activity, so...

I mean, I'd like to see it get on its feet.